Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Portabello with shallot/onion, garlic, and red wine marinade and pea pods

                   PORTABELLO MUSHROOMS WITH PEAPODS AND WHOLE GRAIN
                    PASTA:  
This recipe is made for 2 medium-large servings.  About 2 oz. of wholegrain spaghetti, 3 slices of onion or 1/2 shallot, and one large portabello mushroom with about 10 or so peapods.  Adjust for servings.                        
                   

Well if I don't say so myself, this is one of the best dishes I've made in a long time.  I had Portabello mushrooms but didn't want to just grill them.  I also had some leftover red wine, sooooooo.  I took the gills out of the mushrooms with a spoon, because I don't like the taste of them, then I sliced them in thick slices about 1/2 inches wide.  After this I just make them into nice  1 to 1/2 inch pieces.  I chopped up some shallots(or onion) and some garlic. (about 1-2 pieces of garlic, and 1/4 cup of onion)  placed the ingredients into a bowl and tossed them. I poured some EVOO over the mushrooms and chopped veggies then tossed the ingredients with my hands. When this was done I took about 1/2 cup of red wine and dumped it over and tossed the ingredients again. After completing this part:

 Let set for about 10 minutes then dump off the extra wine from the bottom of the bowl.  Preheat your pan to medium high with EVOO in the bottom and sauté the mixture until nicely browned.( While sauteing make your pasta). Just before you are ready for the pasta throw in a handful of peapods. You barely want to cook them so just toss them for a minute.   .  Just before you are ready to add your pasta take a ladle of the water and put a little over the sautéing mix to deglaze the pan scraping up all of the stuck bits from the bottom of the pan.  With tongs take the pasta from the water and put it in the veggie mix and toss it until completely coated.  Add a bit more water if you need to deglaze more.  Put it in a bowl and enjoy!   


This is a recipe that can be adapted to stuff a tortilla and make a roll, to add peppers to and make many other applications.  Try some different mixes, I'm sure you will love this as a base recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers