Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Spinach and sausage pie...from Brenda's recipe file

I am sorry I haven't posted lately, but with the holidays Santa just had me way too busy to get on the computer hardly at all.

One of my favorite recipes came to me from Brenda many years ago, and I like to make it at least 2 to 3 times a year.  I decided it was time again on New Years Eve, so I made the crust put it in the refrigerator and began to put the ingredients together.  I usually don't make it exactly like the recipe, because it is a bit bland.  I just add whatever my taste is in the mood for, but the basic ingredients are simply:  Sweet Italian Sausage, Ricotta cheese, Mozzarella cheese.  I like to add Crimini mushroom and a bit of onion and garlic plus I like half and half sweet and spicy italian sausage.  Pepperoni can also be used if you want a more south of the border taste.
The pie dough

The recipe is:

2 packs of frozen chopped spinach defrosted.
8 ozs of Ricotta cheese
16 oz of mozzarella cheese
1 lb of italian sausage out of the skin, chopped into about 1 inch pieces.
6 eggs
How to put it together:                  

I lightly sauté the sausage

Half of the pie... : )   oops where is the rest!!!!   yummy
In a bowl mix the spinach, eggs, ricotta, and mozzarella and then add any other ingredients you might like.
Add caption
Mix the meat in pour it into the bottom crust, then top with the other crust.  I also like to add a decorator design of leaves or something on the top.   Make an egg wash and paint it on the top of the pie.  Bake in the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown..You can eat it hot or cold...It is yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers